Tim Martin has been a sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator, tribunal chair, party appointed arbitrator and institution appointed arbitrator in a wide range of disputes. He has been an arbitrator under the rules of every major arbitral institution and many of the leading regional arbitral institutions. He has conducted ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Rules, in addition to other leading non-administered rules.
Tim is both a Fellow (FCIArb) and a Chartered Arbitrator (C.Arb) of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in London, England. He is also a Fellow (CollArb) of the College of Commercial Arbitrators in the United States. Tim is listed in multiple arbitrator panels and rosters around the world.
Tim has been a client, counsel and mediator in international mediations. He has successfully completed the AAA training on “Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills for Global Commerce.”
Tim has been responsible for the litigation strategy in a variety of national courts in North and South America, Europe and the Middle East that dealt with the resolution of complex, multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Tim was corporate counsel for international boundary disputes in the Middle East, Africa and Asia arising from oil & gas concessions issued by sovereign governments.
Related Dispute Resolution Experience
- Retained by governments, investors, operators and consortia as an expert in ICSID, ICC, LCIA, AAA and ad hoc arbitrations.
- Led development and publication of model arbitration clauses and agreements for the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), which are used by energy lawyers & negotiators worldwide.
- Advised Ministries in Canada and the Middle East on the ratification of the International Convention for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID or Washington Convention) and the New York Convention.
- Advised the Independent Petroleum Association of America (IPAA) on managing international disputes, along with writing & publishing its primer on international dispute resolution.
- Founder and Conference Chair for the leading annual conference on Dispute Resolution in the International Energy Sector, co-organized by the AIPN and the following international arbitration institutions:
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) – Dubai, UAE (2006)
- ICC International Court of Arbitration – Paris, France (2007)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2008)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) – Singapore (2009)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) – Houston, Texas, USA (2010)
- ICC International Court of Arbitration – Paris, France (2011)
- London Court of International Arbitration – New Delhi, India (2012)
- Bahrain Chamber of Dispute Resolution – Manama, Bahrain (2013)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) – Calgary, Alberta, Canada (2014)
- London Court of International Arbitration – London, UK (2015)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) – Houston, Texas, USA (2016)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) – Mexico City, Mexico (2017)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) – London, UK (2018)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) – Houston, Texas, USA (2019)
- Saudi Center for Commercial Arbitration (SCCA) – Abu Dhabi (2022)